The rainy season is once again upon us and there’s no time like the present to re-evaluate your safety measures as we come into winter. Wet conditions tend to always bring an increase in slip and fall injuries around the workplace. To reduce the risk factors associated with wet conditions, many have turned to anti-slip floor tape (sometimes referred to as traction tape) to help alert and prevent workers from slipping.
Slips and falls are no laughing matter. Slips, trips, and falls account for 15% of all accidental deaths, about 25 percent of all reported injury claims per fiscal year, and account for about 65 percent of all work days lost in general industry fields, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Like many accidents, slips and falls are also preventable. Reducing these incidents with anti-slip floor tape is not only a great way to lower these numbers in your workplace, but it is also extremely affordable.
Anti-slip adhesive tape is an excellent and economically feasible fix to combat slips and trips.
-Texas State Office of Risk Management
For the most part, slips and falls occur due to a loss of traction between the shoe and walking surface or an accidental contact with a fixed or moveable object which may lead to a fall.
Common Causes of Slips:
- Wet or oily surfaces
- Occasional spills
- Weather hazards
- Flooring or other walking surfaces that do not have same degree of traction in all areas
Anti-slip floor tape can help combat all of the common causes of slips and falls in the workplace. Using an anti-slip tape alerts those walking by that a slip a hazard is present, while protecting them against slippage. The benefits of having a traction or anti-slip tape in your workplace are adding up, here are some of the key benefits from Creative Safety Supply’s Industrial Colored Traction (anti-slip) Tape:
Anti-Slip Floor Tape Benefits
- Easy to apply to any surface
- Aggressive adhesive for longevity
- Anti-slip surface
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Water and chemical resistant
- Meets NFSI 101-A “High Traction”
- Meets or exceeds OSHA standards
Free PPE Guide: Get To Know The Gear That Keeps You Safe
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is paramount to proper safety techniques in manufacturing, construction, or industrial facilities. This PPE guide illustrates PPE symbols and requirements. Make sure all employees are familiar with required PPE in their areas.
The winter season seems to create the most hazards around the workplace, especially in areas with more than average wet conditions. Anti-slip floor tape can be especially beneficial to your workplace if you live in an area that is prone to wet conditions. Putting the tape down in all your entry ways and areas that are open to the elements, will help alert workers and help cut down on slips and falls in that area.
More Than Meets The Eye
The tape offers all the previous benefits mentioned earlier, but will also glow in the dark for up to eight hours. If you have low lit areas in your workplace, this might be just what you need. In the event of a power outage, the glow tape would be extremely helpful in lighting dark corridors or pathways to exits that would not otherwise have access to natural light.
Take The Initiative
There are no limitations to using anti-slip tape in your facility. Applying the tape around your facility is a preventative measure against slips and falls in the workplace. Knowing what we know about slip and fall statistics in the workplaces, it’s no surprise that more and more facilities are turning to anti-slip and traction tapes to help combat slips and falls.
So as you analyze and re-evaluate your facility for the upcoming season, look for those high risk areas around the workplace that are most susceptible to slips and falls and take the initiative by recommending anti-slip tape.
- Provide Safe Walking Surfaces
- The Possibilities of LabelTac Tape
- 5 Ways You Can Prevent Accidents
- Workplace Lighting Can Increase Safety and Productivity
- Stay Safe this Holiday Season!
- Buy Quiet Program Can Prevent Hearing Loss
- OSHA Update: Winter Storms
- Winterize the Workplace
- Floor Marking for Facility Safety– creativesafetysupply.com
- Anti-Slip Floor Tape Prevents Slips and Falls– floor-tape.com
- 7 Places to Use Anti-Slip Tape– safetyblognews.com
- Anti-Slip Tape as a Measure of Safety– blog.creativesafetysupply.com
- Employing the Benefits of Anti Slip Tape– lean-news.com
- Prevent Slip and Fall Accidents– aislemarking.com
- What are Specialized Floor Tapes?– blog.safetytac.com
- Types of Floor Marking Tape– floortape101.com